[Samba] Problems with domain and new passdb backend

Nicole Hähnel nicole.haehnel at epost.de
Tue Aug 24 10:40:02 GMT 2004

Hi,

I installed a new server and changed from samba 2 to samba 3.
I exported the old smbpasswd file to tdbsam with command

pdbedit -e tdbsam:/etc/samba/passdb.tdb

and added

passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/passdb.tdb

to smb.conf.

I tested with one workstation and an existing user.
Then I changed the new server with the old server running samba 2.
Now the problem is, no "old samba 2" existing user can access the domain
   with the new passdb backend tdbsam.
Error: can't find domain xxx!

I have to change back to smbpasswd backend and then the login works.
But when adding a new pc to the domain or changing the password of an
user, the error "can't find the domain" occured.
And I can't see any errors in all logfiles!

What's wrong with my domain?

Thanks!

Nicole