[Samba] browse list sync problem

Michael Nuss nmx at fromtheshadows.net
Mon Aug 23 19:16:36 GMT 2004

I have a network with 3 subnets. There is a PDC one one subnet, and a
WINS server on each of the first two subnets which are replication
partners. (These three machines are running Windows 2000 Server.)  So my
setup looks something like this:

Topology:

          10.50.x.x

       +------+------+
       |             |
    10.0.x.x    10.100.x.x

10.50.x.x:
Server 1: Win2k: Primary Domain Controller / Domain Master Browser
Server 2: Win2k: WINS server for 10.50.x.x

10.0.x.x:
Server 3: Win2k: WINS server for 10.0.x.x and 10.100.x.x / Local Master
Browser for 10.0.x.x

10.100.x.x
Server 4: Linux w/ Samba v3: local master browser for 10.100.x.x / Router

WINS is working fine across all the subnets, and browsing works between
the first two subnets. The problem is that I'm trying to get the Linux
machine to synchronize browse lists with the PDC, and it's failing:

nmbd.log:
[2004/08/23 14:40:46, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:domain_master_node_status_fail(247)
  domain_master_node_status_fail:
  Doing a node status request to the domain master browser
  for workgroup MYDOMAIN at IP 10.50.0.2 failed.
  Cannot sync browser lists.

(where MYDOMAIN is our domain name and 10.50.0.2 is the IP address of
the PDC)

I'm not sure what to do to debug this. The error isn't entirely helpful
because it doesn't say why the request failed. The Win2k machine on the
10.0 subnet has no trouble synchronizing with the DMB.  The only
possible conflict I can think of is that the Linux machine is
multihomed, but Samba is only configured to listen on the 10.100
interface, so I don't think that's the issue. It has been joined to the AD.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike Nuss