[Samba] Update -> Someone with "Access Denied" from Windows pls try this test to compare notes with me

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Mon Aug 23 18:57:55 GMT 2004

Hi Jerry-

I'd be cautious to call it fixed in 3.0.6 cuz..... (Just my line of thinking as
best as I understand recent Samba developments):

1) I banged 3.0.4 hard - rock solid stable other than me tinkering with numbers
in /etc/passwd /etc/group to test some suggestions about the print dialog delay
issue. Caused "access denied" which only lasted as long as I had numbering
errors... so I count myself to blame for that one, not Samba.

2) 3.0.5 was a security fix to 3.0.4... I don't remember the specifics, buffer
overrun maybe? So 3.0.4 is pulled out and the issue fixed, called 3.0.5. I
don't see where that would have caused these unstoppable "access denied"
issues. It got flakey... drop the machine ID from /etc/passwd and smbpasswd,
reload, then works... finally that would not even fix the issue.

Drum roll.... really strange part!!!!

>>NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Steps to recreate the issue:
Login as domadmin and ntadmins (in my environment)
A couple of NET USE's are issued in LOGON.BAT, plus the home share
Delete the samba logs on the server
Open a command prompt, try to change to a drive letter, BANG access denied...
AND NOTHING LOGGED with logs set to 10. As if, the client remembers already
that it has a bad connection and the answer thus should be access denied.

Drop all of the NET USE's, delete the logs, then try to net use... that's the
part where I caught the blank domain/userID which you said could not be part of
this. BUT!!!!

Do the same steps above WITHOUT being a member of ndadmins (ntpwrusr let's say)
drop all of the NET USE's, drop the logs, then NET USE and the same things show
up in the logs EXCEPT the domain/userID is filled in! That's why I thought it
was related to the access denied.

As for Jeremy's idea about some "home share snum" -> would that have affected
ALL NET USE's drives or just home? This toasted EVERYTHING.

And EVERYTHING being dir browsing / DIR type stuff. Know the full path either
DOS path or UNC to a file and you could read/write just fine.

I really hope it is gone in 3.0.6, no matter what its cause really was.....

Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/