[Samba] mod_smbfilepwd_entry: Using old smbpasswd format. This is no longer supported.! ?????

M. D. Parker mike.parker at ga.com
Mon Aug 23 17:31:35 GMT 2004

I have been using (actually inheareted the system) a file for the Samba
password database using since something during the 2.0 erra.  New accounts
have been successfully added and users are apparently logging in ok.  After
installing 3.0.6 I am seeing these things in my log (log level=3).

mod_smbfilepwd_entry:  Using old smbpasswd format.  This is no longer
supported.!

1. What is the difference between the "old" smbpasswd format and the "new".

2. How do I convert the current file to be of the "new" type without having
to reenter username/passwords (which one usually does not have).

Thanks for your help.

M. D. Parker
Systems Administrator
General Atomics / Electromagnetic Systems
+1 858 455 2877
mike.parker at ga.com