[Samba] 3.0.6 & "string overflow by 1"

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Mon Aug 23 11:19:55 GMT 2004

Gerald Carter wrote:

> Adam Tauno WIlliams wrote:
>
> | I updated one of my file servers to 3.0.6, and while file
> | serving is improved (no M$-Office file already open
> | messages),
>
> That's good news.
>
> | every time I access a printer my logs flood with messages
> | like to those below.  It seems I can set printer
> | properites, etc...  but when I print the jobs seem to go
> | to never-never land (still researching where the jobs go).

Printing works for me despite these messages.

> | [2004/08/20 08:46:27, 0] lib/util_str.c:safe_strcpy_fn(600)
> |   ERROR: string overflow by 1 (32 - 31) in safe_strcpy
> | [\\192.168.1.12\HP Business Inkjet 2250 PS]
>
> This is a warning a shouldn't impact the print jobs in any way.

Sorry for bringing this up again...

This messages are side-effects of setting the printername to
"\\servername\drivername", when assigning drivers to printers.

AFAIK the message is caused by the safe_strcpy call in
printing/nt_printing.c : construct_nt_devicemode () or get_a_printer2 ().

The MAXDEVICENAME macro is set to 32 whereas printername plus servername is
usually longer than that.

I'd suggest, not to change the printername when assigning a driver unless the
printername contains  the drivername (e.g. "HP Laserjet 4 (Copy 2)" vs. "HP
Laserjet 4").

This is the behaviour I can see with local printers under W2k.
(Haven't even seen this, until Gerald told me).

Bye,
Martin

Martin Zielinski                       mz at seh.de
Software Development