[Samba] Samba unix password sync

Mac mac at nibsc.ac.uk
Mon Aug 23 10:26:56 GMT 2004

Hi there,

>I know I had posted this question a while ago, but I have just not been
>able to get it to work. I am trying to sync samba passwords with unix
>passwords and it is just not working. I have attached the
>results of
>
>If anyone can provide any suggestions that would help me solve my
>problem I would highly appreciative. If I run smbpasswd through ssh or
>even at a local terminal, I get the error "RAP86" saying that the
>password is invalid.

RAP86 is the general purpose 'it didn't work' error message.  It doesn't
necessarily mean that any particluar password is invalid.  It's just
that you're dealing with account-names and passwords, so the system
doesn't give useful messages like 'account doesn't exist' or 'old
passowrd was mis-typed' because that sort of info is useful to people
trying to break in to your system.

I notice you have 'passwd chat debug' turned off.  I suggest that you
turn it on, and see what's happening when the password sync happens.
Don't forget that you'll need to raise the debug level to something like
'100' to see the chat debug.  And also be aware that the passwords
you type will be visible in the log file.  I recommend you don't do this
on a production server.  Do it on a test one if you possibly can.

I've worked through this sort of mess before, so if you get utterly
stuck then please mail me off-list with the details.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641565          Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)