[Samba] Someone with "Access Denied" from Windows pls try this test to compare notes with me

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Sun Aug 22 12:30:46 GMT 2004

Long day yesterday for us here, first production implementation of Samba has to be rolled out and the client's old network reinstalled... cause: this "access deneied" issue which seems to be randomly
affecting Samba implementations and from what I can see folks say Samba 3.0.2 was the last good build. If that describes you, please test this as I have come up with a way to turn the problem on/off
like a light switch. (Samba team... have I got your attention????)

Again, you may review how I have configured Samba PDC from my KLUG presentation.

ftp://ftp.lueckdatasystems.com/pub/presentations/klugsamba3pdc-bookreview.pdf

Specifically jump to pages 7 through 9, that is the critical part. I have configured the security environment to allow for independant assignment of permissions to three different areas of security:

1) The user in the Linux workd (SSH to the server, X logon, etc...)
2) The Samba domain user / PDC
3) The local permissions on the Win2K (WinXP) desktop.

This error ONLY happens... (ah, the error affects either command prompt use or Windows explorer use of NET USE'ed network drives, but does NOT affect UNC access to the same) when the configuration
being tested includes the user having Administrator permissions to the workstation. If I make the user a member of the Linux group ntadmins, bang "Access Denied". If I move the user to ntpwrusr and
relogin, the mapped drives work fine.

Further, I have logged in workstation only to the local Administrator account and then used ANY ID known to smbpasswd to NET USE to the server, 100% "Access Denied" so the account allowing local
access to the Windows computer need not be a domain account. I have not tested (yet) from a workstation which has not joined the Samba PDC to see if those are affected as well.

This has only happened for us with the Samba 3.0.5 Debian package. We banged the Samba 3.0.4 Debian package hard in the process of coming up with our standard configuration and the demo to KLUG,
"access denied" was never an issue. Unfortunately 3.0.2 and 3.0.4 Debian packages seem to have been purged from both debian.org and samba.org, so not at all sure how we would be able to roll back that
far... I will be testing the Debian package of 3.0.6 soon.

Could someone with the "Access Denied" errors happening consistently test the configuration of local administrator permissions turning the problem on/off please?

TIA!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems