[Samba] make_user_info_map in log with blank Doman and UserID args

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Fri Aug 20 15:24:13 GMT 2004

Samba 3.0.5 Debian Package
Kernel 2.6.7 custom compile on Debian Testing

Configure Samba per my KLUG presentation on Samba PDC to Win2K Clients:
ftp://ftp.lueckdatasystems.com/pub/presentations/klugsamba3pdc-bookreview.pdf

In the error condition, a user account is assigned to the domadmin and ntadmin Linux groups.
In smb.conf -> admin users = @domadmin
On the workstation there are mappings between the local groups and nt* domain groups.

Drive letter mappings net use fine to the server, accessing them via drive letter fails, UNC works fine.

Checking the log, the call to make_user_info_map is missing the Domain and UserID strings:

make_user_info_map: Mapping user []\[] from workstation [CGS00004]

I have tracked down that the user -> ntadmin membership is the issue, moving the user into ntusers for example allows normal access to the LAN drives by drive letter. The missing strings are properly
filled in to the make_user_info_map call just by changing the nt* group membership for the UserID being tested.

I have removed the net groupmap and put it back in again. Since this was working, is it possibly a corrupted Samba database file? How does one recover from this kind of error?

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems