[Samba] 2.2 -> 3.0 upgrade issues

Sigmund Straumsnes Sigmund.Straumsnes at iu.hio.no
Fri Aug 20 10:20:52 GMT 2004

Hi,

I tried to upgrade two samba servers (on Solaris and Linux) from 2.2.10 to
3.0.5. Some of the client machines had some problems that forced me to
install 2.2.11 instead. I use /etc/shadow for authentication, so the only
option in smb.conf I altered after install, was to add
"encrypt passwords = no".

One problem was from a WinXP SP2 box to the server on Solaris. The
user is unable to access his files after logging in. smbstatus showed him
as logged in, however. He has no problems on 2.2. To me this seemed like
an issue with XPSP2, as other clients did not have this issue, and the
same user was able to access the same share from another machine (Win2k, I
think).

The other was from a Linux box to the server on Linux. The user is able to
mount a share, but everything under the mount-point is listed as owned by
the UID/GID he has on the server, not who he is on the client machine.
This is also changed from 2.2. I would think that this is the client's
problem, not the server's.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Regards,
Sigmund Straumsnes