[Samba] Sharing a Samba Share?

Fitzwater, Bryan bryan at xip.net
Fri Aug 20 03:44:34 GMT 2004

Is it possible to share a Windows Share of a Samba Unix Share?

We have Samba running on a Solaris Box, I can map a drive to the share just fine from a Windows 2000 server.

Problem is that I want to in-turn share the Samba share from the Windows box.

Reason is ... I have customers on a remote network who are only allowed HTTP and HTTPS outbound on their firewall. And I would like to give them access to the Solaris box.

I would like to do something similar to what I have done for access to our Netware servers via HTTPS:

Here's an example of what I have done for our Netware Servers:

1. Setup an application Server running Unix accessible via HTTPS in our DMZ.
2. Application Server runs an https "Windows Domain Browser/ File Manager" to browse and access Windows Server shares/files.
3. The shares are "published" to the client browser via HTTPS.
4. The user can manage files using their java client similar to the Windows Explorer.
5. I setup one of the Windows Servers with GSNW (Gateway Services for Netware) and use that to "re-share" netware file shares as "windows shares".
6. From this point the remote users can access the Netware files through the HTTPS application server, then the Windows Server running GSNW and finally on the Netware server.

This all works fine but I want to do something similar for sharing the files on the Solaris box.  Process would be something like...

1. Setup an application Server running Unix accessible via HTTPS in our DMZ. = DONE.
2. Application Server runs an https "Windows Domain Browser/ File Manager" to browse and access Windows Server shares/files. = DONE.
3. Grab a Windows Server and MAP a drive to the Solaris Box using Samba. = DONE
4. Share the mapped drive in step 3 and allow remote user to access.  = FAILED.

This is where I get stuck, I can't share the mapped drive because Windows won't allow this type of mapping to be shared. Is there a workaround for this?

Bear in mind the only connectivity the customer is allowed out their firewall is HTTPS, no FTP, no IPSEC (vpn) etc.

thanks in advance for any ideas.

-Bryan Fitzwater
Network Janitor