[Samba] Installation problems on Fedora Core 2

David Levner davidlevner at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 23:36:47 GMT 2004

Thanks to Paul Gienger, I've made some progress
diagnosing my samba problems. Paul suggested that I
needed to install the samba-client package to fully
test my setup. I have now done that.

I am trying to share files between a Linux system
running Fedora Core 2 (named Wintergreen) and a
Windows 2000 Professional system (named
Internet-2000). I am not yet able to share files,
although the W2K machine can see the Linux box. The
key error message I am getting on the W2K machine is
"The Server service is not started."

I have gone through the Samba Checklist to try to
figure out what is wrong. Here are the results I've
gotten from the checklist (it's long). I've also
attached my smb.conf file to this e-mail.

1. The output of testparm looks healthy:

Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[tmp]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
        server string = Samba Test Server
        interfaces = eth0, lo
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        dns proxy = No
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[tmp]
        comment = Temporary file space
        path = /tmp
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

2. I can ping each machine from the other using IP
addresses. I can ping the W2K machine from the Linux
machine by the machine name (because I put the W2K
machine name and IP address into /etc/hosts).

3. When I run the command "smbclient -L Wintergreen"
on the Linux box, I am asked for a password. I type in
the root password and get the error message "session
setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE". When I enter
no password at all (this was not obvious), the command
succeeds and I get the following output:

Anonymouse login successful
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.3-5]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        tmp             Disk      Temporary file space
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba
Test Server)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba
Test Server)
Anonymouse login successful
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.3-5]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        WINTERGREEN          Samba Test Server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        WORKGROUP            WINTERGREEN

4. When I type the command "nmblookup -B Wintergreen
__SAMBA__", I do indeed get the IP address of the
server.

5. When I type the command "nmblookup -B Internet-2000
'*'", I do indeed get the IP address of the W2K
machine.

6. When I type the command "nmblookup -d 2 '*'", I get
the following output:

added interface ip=192.168.0.4 bcast=192.168.0.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255
nmask=255.0.0.0
querying * on 192.168.0.255
querying * on 127.255.255.255
Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 (
192.168.0.4 )
192.168.0.4 *<00>

The fact that I only got one positive response bothers
me. I should probably have gotten a response from the
W2K machine (192.168.0.7).

7. When I type the command "smbclient
//Wintergreen/tmp", I am prompted for a password. When
I enter the password, I get the error message "session
setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE". However, when
I don't enter a password (I just press Enter), the
anonymous login succeeds and I get a "smb :\>" prompt.

The dir and get commands work. When I try the put
command, I get the error message
"NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED opening remote file
\test.txt".

8. On the W2K machine, I typed "net view
\\Wintergreen" in a DOS window, and I got the
following error message: "The Server service is not
started."

9. On the W2K machine, I typed "net use x:
\\Wintergreen", and I got the following two error
messages: "System error 67 has occurred." and "The
network name cannot be found."

10. The command "nmblookup -M WORKGROUP" succeeded on
the Linux machine.

11. When I used Internet explorer to try to look at
the Linux machine, I got the following error messages:
"\\Wintergreen is not accessible" and "The Server
service is not started."

Thanks for any help you can provide.

David Levner