[Samba] 1 wk2 server with 2 names; is it possible?

andrea ferraris andrea_ferraris at libero.it
Thu Aug 19 19:04:15 GMT 2004

Hi,

I tried to post in the windows newsgroup, but I didn't get replies
because maybe there the users are not very conscious of what they
are doing. ;-)

I can't choose to go with samba (as I'd like best), because on the w2k
server of the subject there are some windows application that
doesn't work on linux or samba.

Sorry if it's a FAQ, and if it is let me know where can I find the
A(nswer) and read the FM (Fine Manual).

I have 2 W2K server with 2 different names with about 80 clients
(mostly XP, but also some W98) that uses different shares and programs
on both (using also the server's names, not only IPs).
They are oversized (average CPU load in working hours at about 10-15%)
and the tasks that they perform are important but not mission critical
h24x365. They work in a municipality, it is there are no much money and
they are both W2000 server (no advanced server and there are no
Microsoft cluster software). Every night they are backupped on DAT and
there are a crossed backup copy of data from one to the other and
viceversa. If for some reason one of them die I'd like to switch to the
other without changing the settings of all the clients. To do so, I have
to add the IP address of died machine to the surviving, but I should
also add the name of the died one to the surviving one.

Are there some way to do such thing (it is a W2000 server with 2 names),
and if yes, which one?

Thx to replying people, regards to all,

Andrea Ferraris