[Samba] printernames vs. sharenames

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Thu Aug 19 13:56:48 GMT 2004

Hello,

when I assign a printer driver to a printer from a windows client, the
printername now changes to the drivername.

Yes, I can see the SPOOLSS_SETPRINTER call with the printername property,
but that's definitly not what I want (or would expect).

E.g. when I change the drivers of 3 printers to HP Laserjet, I get 3 printers
with the names "HP Laserjet [(Copy 1|2)]". These names are different from the
names of my CUPS queues and have to be reverted manually.

We all work with and configure the printers having the sharenames (aka the
queue names) in mind. And -btw- it does not happen, when changing the printer
driver of a local queue.

Just my point of view... any comments?

P.S.
To the topic "print spooling messages never go away":
We're not able to reproduce it with 3.06rc2. We'll still have an eye on that
but can't provide reasonable infos now.

Bye,
Martin

Martin Zielinski                       mz at seh.de