[Samba] LDAP Master/Slave

rruegner robert at ruegner.org
Thu Aug 19 09:41:31 GMT 2004

Hi John,
let me explain....if you have conected smb ldap master pdc with
a vpn ( ie. Openvpn ) to a bdc smb ldap slave and if the vpn
brakes , win clients from the vpn network are working with
the last entries from the slave ldap.
As in the blackout period the pdc isnt exist and the bdc ldap slave is
not writeable , you cant make any changes ( like bringing up new
machines on the fly, chnage passwords etc )until the vpn is up again to
the pdc ldap master.
This belongs to the fact that a bdc is read only.
This is my understanding....and practised...or do you now something
other workaround? ( which might be possible with ldap in principal, but
will end in heavly syncing the ldap directory in network blackout periods )
Best Regards