[Samba] smbpasswd issue

Greg Andrews andrews at rgt.com.au
Thu Aug 19 07:36:49 GMT 2004

Howdy All,

I am trying to add more winxp machines to an existing domain and I think I
must have broken something.
The story goes, I discovered that it is a bad idea to have the
computername and username the same, so I thought  I would change the
computername on one machine ( at a time ). However after trying with the
first machine ( and failing ) I gave up thinking I would come back to this
issue.
However,when I try to add ANY new machine to the domain with smbpasswd -a
-m newmachinename  I get

failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user newmachinename$
failed tomodify password entry for user newmachinename$

This tells me that it recognises the account as a machine trust account,
but the database is bust.

HOW DO I FIX IT ( or if all else fails  can I remove the smbpasswd file
and simply add all of the accounts again )  ??
The latter is not my favourite option but I will do it to get things going.

The second and more important question is WHAT DID I DO to break it. I
really dont want to have to go through this regularly.AND  is there some
backup of the database ( or can I create one on a dynamic system ) and if
so what files should I be backing up.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Greg