[Samba] Windows XP SP2 broke Samba

Ken Arundell ken at arundell.ca
Thu Aug 19 04:56:29 GMT 2004

Life was good before Windows XP SP2. I had Samba 3.0.3-5 running on my
Fedora Core2 system. I accessed it via Windows XP Pro without a problem.
All the user names and passwords worked as planned.

Along came SP2. Now I get an error message: \\Scrooge\shared is not
accessible... Access is denied.

In the samba log file,  the error message reads
"auth/auth_util.c:make_server_info_sam(822) User pcguest in passdb, but
getpwnam() fails!"

I'm not logged in to my XP machine as "pcguest"; I'm logged in as
"ken".  It would appear that XP is not passing the correct user name and
password on to the samba server.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch,
Ken.

Other info:
- I have the firewall turned off on the XP machine.
- using encrypted passwords