[Samba] Mangling incoming macintosh filenames with reserved chars?

Entelin entelin at logicaldreams.net
Wed Aug 18 03:09:32 GMT 2004

I have a client with about 1TB worth of files stored on an old mac
server which is being replaced by a small samba cluster. Unfortunately
the users were very liberal when naming their files naming them things
such as.

*wh at/e\v er!.tiff

lol, so of course samba doesnt like that very much and gives me a
"invalid filename" error, so the question is, is there a way for samba
to rename that incoming filename just taking out the invalid chars?

resulting in something valid like

wh atev er.tiff

thanks :)

--