[Samba] CUPS Printing to PostScript Printer

Richardson, Anthony ar63 at evansville.edu
Wed Aug 18 20:20:29 GMT 2004

I'm having trouble printing to a HP LaserJet 6MP
Postscript printer.  I'm using CUPS and normal
UNIX printing works fine.

I've tried to configure SAMBA for point and click
printing.  That all seemed to go okay except that
what is printed is:
-12345X at PJL JOB
@PJL SET RESOLUTION = 600
@PJL SET ECONOMODE = OFF
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = POSTSCRIPT
followed by all of the raw Postscript commands.
I think it is the "-12345X" at the beginning of
the output that is confusing the printer.

I'm using Fedora Core 2, CUPS 1.1.20, and SAMBA 3.0.3.

My smb.conf file has
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
   printing = cups

SAMBA is compiled against the CUPS API.
I've tried both the CUPS RAW and Postscript queues.
I've uncommented the appropriate lines in the
CUPS config files for raw output (mime.types and
mime.convs)

Can anyone provide any help?

Thanks,
Tony Richardson