[Samba] Samba Winbind and Active Directory

jzorzi at marketlinksolutions.com jzorzi at marketlinksolutions.com
Wed Aug 18 19:28:01 GMT 2004

I have a problem with the Winbind setup authenticating Active Directory
Users.

I have setup Fedora Core2 with the minimal setup option

These are the Fedora RPM's that I have installed manually.

openldap-2.1.29-1

openldap-devel-2.1.29-1

krb5-libs-1.3.3-1

krb5-devel-1.3.3-1

krb5-workstation-1.3.3-1

pam_smb-1.1.7-3.1

pam-devel-0.77-40

pam-0.77-40

pam_krb5-2.0.10-1

samba-client-3.0.3-5

samba-common-3.0.3-5

samba-3.0.3-5

I have setup my connect to the AD Server and can do a Kinit.

I have setup winbind and can use wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g and get the desired
results.

I can do a getent passwd and getent group and the desired results are
achieved.

I can't however give ownership to a file using an Active Directory account
and can not authenticate to the samba server using a Windows 2003 account.

I followed the instructions on this site but I must be missing something

http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html
<http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html>

I have verified that nscd is not running but is installed

Here is a sample of my getent passwd

MARKETLINKSOL\jzorzi:x:10019:10000:Jay
Zorzi:/home/MARKETLINKSOL/jzorzi:/bin/false

MARKETLINKSOL\kclarke:x:10020:10000:Kevin
Clarke:/home/MARKETLINKSOL/kclarke:/bin/false

MARKETLINKSOL\krbtgt:x:10021:10000::/home/MARKETLINKSOL/krbtgt:/bin/false

Here is the global section of my smb.conf file

[global]

realm = MARKETLINKSOL.NET

;ads server = 10.20.1.1   *********** This generates an error unless
commented out *****************

security = ADS

encrypt passwords = yes

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUFF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

workgroup = MARKETLINKSOL

;winbind separator = +

idmap uid = 10000-20000

idmap gid = 10000-20000