[Samba] Preexec on Profiles

Jonathan Knight jonathan at cs.keele.ac.uk
Wed Aug 18 18:20:55 GMT 2004

I'm trying to get a preexec line to work on Profiles when a windows XP
system logs in.  The line and script are the same as we used to use on the
"homes" share with WIndows 98 clients on samba 2.  However I cannot seem to
make the preexec line trigger either on login or by explicitly mounting the
share.

Here's the bit from my smb.conf

[Profiles]
  path = /var/samba/profiles
  preexec = /usr/local/samba/KEELE/logon %u %m %I
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  read only = no
  guest ok = yes

I've tried executing the script as the user and it seems to work fine so I
suspect there's a problem with the way samba is dealing with it.  I've also
run testparm to check it's seen the parameter and apart from renaming it as
"exec" it appears to be intact.

Here's the script

#!/bin/sh
#
#
# Logon script

echo "$*" > /tmp/log
/usr/local/samba/KEELE/mozilla-profile-setup >> /tmp/log 2>&1

--
  ______    jonathan at cs.keele.ac.uk    Jonathan Knight,
    /                                  Department of Computer Science