[Samba] Re: PDC/LDAP domain login problems (update)

Anthony Hess tonyh at engr.arizona.edu
Wed Aug 18 17:40:58 GMT 2004

I got this thing working late yesterday, so I wanted to update the archives
because I never saw this exact solution.

I saw essentially these solutions to a problem that sounded like mine (cant
log in, but authentication looks to be OK on the client):

Make sure the domain SIDs match in LDAP and by using net getlocalSID.

And

Make sure the directory passwd and bind information is correct.  Im using a
proxy account, but it has full access (read and write and some other stuff)
to the People ou.  So that's not it.

So this was all correct.  HOWEVER - they werent always - I had an incorrect
SID (was missing a 4 at the end of the domain SID) from an earlier mistake.
The machine had been joined during this time, and when I checked - YEP - its
SID was the incorrect domain one.  So I fixed the number, rejoined the
machine in question, and voila!  - it works just fine.  Seems obvious in
hindsight ...

Tony