[Samba] Group creation and ldap

mike at jurney.org mike at jurney.org
Wed Aug 18 13:30:33 GMT 2004

(This is a repost of a question I sent a while ago - I'm still looking for
an answer...)

I'm using samba 3.0.4 with ldapsam as a pdc.  When I try to create a
group, samba correctly runs the add group script, which creates an LDAP
entry with objectClass set to posixGroup and gidNumber set to the gid I
want to use and cn set to the group name. The next thing samba does is
look for the posix group with the following filters:

[(&(objectClass=sambaGroupMapping)(gidNumber=0))]
[(&(|(objectClass=posixGroup)(objectclass=sambaIdmapEntry))(gidNumber=0))]
[(&(objectClass=sambaIdmapEntry)(gidNumber=0))]

In all cases they fail because the gidNumber is set to something non-zero.
Why is it searching on objectClass and gidNumber, not objectClass and cn?
Is there a way to change this behavior or let samba know what the
gidNumber should be?  I've tried having the add group script return the
gidNumber instead of zero, but the behavior is the same.

--
Michael D. Jurney
mike at jurney.org