[Samba] Re: Samb a 3.0.5 LDAP Question

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Aug 18 09:08:47 GMT 2004

Jeff Saxton wrote:
> I already have LDAP setup fro other purposes and I'm using {MD5}
> passwords in ou=people,dc=mycompany,dc=com
> What are the correct settings in smb.conf?
>
> is is possible to use stored md5 passwords?
>
> Thanks in advance

SAMBA has to authenticate clients using the information that Windows
provides. And windows only knows how to provide Windows-specific LM and
NT hashes. This is not a problem since SAMBA stores these hashes in LDAP
and never uses the actual LDAP password. If you want anything else to
authenticate against LDAP password, you must tell SAMBA to update it as
well by setting "ldap password sync = yes" (but remember, SAMBA never
reads it). Of course some ACLs must be in place on LDAP server, like these:

access to dn.base=""
         by users read
         by * none

access to dn.base="cn=Subschema"
         by users read
         by * none

access to attrs=userPassword,sambaLMPassword,sambaNTPassword
        by group="cn=LdapAdmins,ou=Security,dc=dialog,dc=usu,dc=ru" write
         by anonymous auth
         by self write
         by * none

access to attrs=@posixAccount, at posixGroup,ou,entry
        by group="cn=LdapAdmins,ou=Security,dc=dialog,dc=usu,dc=ru" write
         by * read

access to *
        by group="cn=LdapAdmins,ou=Security,dc=dialog,dc=usu,dc=ru" write
         by self read
         by * none

--
Alexander E. Patrakov