[Samba] Re: Chicken-and-egg problem with domain SID

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Aug 18 08:58:10 GMT 2004

Eric V. Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to configure samba 3.0.3 from FC2 with an LDAP backend as a
> domain controller.  I'm using smbldap-tools from idealx.org.  From what
> I've read, I need to configure the domain SID in
> /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap.conf.  But in order to generate the SID, I
> need to be running samba on the domain controller already.

No. The "net getlocalsid" command doesn't need a running samba server.
So the solution is:

1) Start an empty ldap server, don't start smbd/nmbd
2) smbpasswd -w ldappassword
3) net getlocalsid - this should write the SID into ldap
4) adjust the SID in the smbldap scripts
5) populate ldap
6) start the SAMBA servers

--
Alexander E. Patrakov