[Samba] Re: loosed accent french codepages , upgrading from samba 2.2.7a (RedHat9) to samba 3.0.2a Mandrake10

Sten Sletbak Sten.Sletbak at adm.hio.no
Wed Aug 18 08:21:25 GMT 2004

In article <4121CA1D.5000105 at lemontreer.net>, Jerome Le Montreer, Consultant wrote:
> hello Samba codepagers ...
>
> I have a linux server for XP pro and Win9x stations.
> I am migrating the server from RedHat9 (samba 2.2.7a) to Mandrake 10
> (samba 3.0.2a)
>
> The problem :
> The french accents and the case options of the filenames are no longer
> recognized by the WinXP Pro Stations.
> (preserve case = no, default case = low ...)
> i tried a lot of CHARSET    but it did nothing
>
> samba 3  seems to have less codepages than in samba 2 .
>
> How can i recover the former behaviour we had with Samba 2 ?

Well, you could try to convert your filesystems to utf8 and avoid charset and codepage settings
entirely in smb.conf.
We did this on thousands of files (norwegian characters), and have had no problems at all with it.
You should make up your mind before doing this though, as it can be a bit tricky to go back.
Don't convert open files as this could probably lead to file corruption.
Test on a copy of some directory first. :-)

Here's a link to a good utility:

http://j3e.de/linux/convmv/man/

Sten