[Samba] tuning for samba server

Gerald Drouillard gerrylist at drouillard.ca
Wed Aug 18 03:35:23 GMT 2004

Raúl D. Pittí Palma wrote:

> Hi!
> anyone knows where to get some info for kernel (maybe via sysctl) and or
> samba tuning for high performance ?
> I have read all the samba docs available, so aim looking for others tips
> besides the tcp tunings usually applied in smb.conf ?
> i am setting a server on a client site, with many clients (about 100),
> and i
> am using a real server hardware (an HP netserver with xeon
> procesor at 2.8Ghz,
> 1Gig of RAm and fast scsi hdds (scsi 320 @ 15krpm).  the budget can be
> stressed out for buying a raid enable server  :-)   .
> thanks for all your help.
> RP
> ____________________
> Raúl Pittí Palma
> Associate
> Global Engineering and Technology S.A.
> móvil. (507) - 616 - 0194

Well, your tuning depends on what type of duties the server will
perform.  If you are looking for fast file serving and moving of data, I
would suggest you take a look at our Tips& Tricks page:
http://www.convert2samba.com/Tips&Tricks/Samba/Oplocks.htm

Also if your underlying file system could make a big difference.  For
instance the default formatting and mounting of a XFS formatted drive
may not give you the best performance.

Regards
Gerald Drouillard
Drouillard & Assoicates, Inc.