[Samba] Re: Samba3 and eDirectory as LDAP - HELP

Ulf Dettmer ulf.dettmer at imk.fraunhofer.de
Tue Aug 17 09:01:01 GMT 2004

Hi,
i've got Samba3 running on SuSE 9.0 and eDir 8.7 as backend on a Sun.
The eDir is indeed fully compatible with LDAP, you can e.g. do a
'ldapsearch' to test it.
Did you already extend your eDirectory with the samba schema ( and maybe
also RFC 2307 'posixAccount / posixGroup' )?
Your smb.conf should include lines like these:

	passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://dir-server, guest
	ldap admin dn = cn=proxy-user,ou=department,o=company,c=DE
	ldap suffix = ou=department,o=company,c=DE
	ldap group suffix = ou=Group
	# no SSL during testing - helps debugging
	ldap ssl = no
	ldap user suffix = ou=People

It is sometimes very helpful to capture the LDAP traffic ( port 389 )
with a network sniffer like Ethereal to analyze connection problems
between samba and NDS.
I hope this helps !
regards, Ulf