[Samba] File locks not always released (Samba 2.2.8)

Xavier x.poirier at free.fr
Tue Aug 17 07:47:27 GMT 2004

Hi Rasjid,Jeremy,

We have the same problem as Rasjid said,
But I'm working with an XFS and ACL's on files and dir (samba 3.0.4).
I noticed that when a locked file (for samba) should NOT be locked, there was a
problem of wrong autorizations on this file. --x missing or something similar
according to what the samba user is autorized to do on this file.
putting the good autorizations on, free the lock on this file, and you can do
what you want next.

look:
The problem occured yesterday , I had a file on a share "dmc" called error.txt
the share is "root" owner and group "dmc" owner.
acl's when the problem occured said :

user::r
user:root:rwx
group:dmc:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---

ls -l : "r--rwx--- error.txt"

chmoding error.txt to (this is what I wanted before): "rwxrwx--- error.txt"

unlock this file in samba point of view.

The problem that I didn't anderstood is that I cannot say why I had :
user::r
user:root:rwx
on file "error.txt", cause it must have been :
user::rwx
user:root:rwx

I think it was a copy of group of files from another NOVELL server that made
this file "r" only for user "root".

I will do some others tests on these days, will keep you informed on this , ok ?

Have a nice day

Xavier