[Samba] Chicken-and-egg problem with domain SID

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Tue Aug 17 00:25:12 GMT 2004

I'm trying to configure samba 3.0.3 from FC2 with an LDAP backend as a
domain controller.  I'm using smbldap-tools from idealx.org.  From what
I've read, I need to configure the domain SID in
/etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap.conf.  But in order to generate the SID, I
need to be running samba on the domain controller already.

I'm trying to generate all of the config files on another machine, and
copy them over to the box that will be the domain controller.  Once the
domain controller is configured, then I'll launch samba on it.  Until
that point, I'm just going to be copying configuration files to it.

 From reading the source, I think I can just generate a random SID by
calling the equivalent of generate_random_sid(), and converting that to
a string.  I think I'll write my own routine to do this (probably in
Python), since I'm not sure about the initialization required to call
generate_random_sid() from my own program.

Does this approach make sense?  Am I missing a better solution?

Thanks.

Eric.