[Samba] Problems with Dfs

Greg gregd at broadcom.com
Mon Aug 16 21:53:06 GMT 2004

I have two problems with Dfs that I'm trying to resolve.  I'm using
samba-2.2.8ap-1 for Dfs and all links point to netapp filer shares.

1.  Files not present

When a user runs a script, he gets file not found.  The script must
access the root of the share, then it can access the file.  It is not
consistent.

For example
dir \\server\dfs\projects\test\test.txt
-> file not found
dir \\server\dfs\projects\test
-> get listing
dir \\server\dfs\projects\test\test.txt
-> get listing

It seems to go away when using a MS 2003 server.

2.  Auth denied

Users coming from non-domain client machines get rejected by the mount
destination on the netapp filer.  They auth against the samba server
okay with security=domain, but are rejected by the mount destination
file server.  It does work if they auth against the filer first, but
that is not the way we want it to work.  Maybe Samba does not pass the
credentials to the Dfs mount destination server with the domain
preceding the username as in domain\username?  Or because the user is
now mapped to a unix user account samba sends the unix information for
the auth to the filer when it should be sending the windows auth
information?

Thank-you,
Greg