[Samba] LDAP failover

Jason C. Waters jwaters at h2os.com
Mon Aug 16 20:32:52 GMT 2004

Hey guys,
	I'm having a problem getting LDAP/Samba to failover, or at least how I
think it should.  I have two servers with passwd backend =
ldapsam://"ldaps://ldap.server1 ldaps://ldap.server2".  Works great as
long as I can ping both servers.  Say I take down ldap on server1, and
also take down the ethernet device so it cannot communicate with the
other server, so it should then samba should look at server2.  It does
but it takes 6 seconds for it to switch.  To me that seems dumb.  All
communication is then delayed by six seconds which isn't much of an
option.  I'm tempted to write a perl script that will modify the passwd
backend line in samba and just replace it with the server that is can
find.  Has anyone else had this problem?  If so how did you resolve it?
  Thanks for your help.

Jason