[Samba] join domain - ou=people searched for machine accounts?

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Aug 16 16:49:47 GMT 2004

jo / ak wrote:

>Zitat von Paul Gienger <pgienger at ae-solutions.com>:
>

>>documented in bugzilla.  Computer accounts need to be in the
>>same OU as
>>user accounts.  Some (within the samba team) call it a design
>>issue,
>>others (outside the samba team) call it a bug.
>>

>Thank you for pointing this out. My vote is for a bug. Otherwise,
>it should be fixed in the docs (for example, in chapter
>"10.4.4.5 Configuring Samba" of the 3.0.5 Howto, "ldap user
>suffix" and "ldap machine suffix" are different). It should be
>mentioned in all LDAP examples that the entries need to be the
>same.

I agree with you in that it should be documented.  It is stated as a
design issue to put them together (in bugzirra), but then I would
consider that leaving the ability to change the ou is a bug in the
program, or that not stating that you need to keep them in the same
place as a bug in the documentation.  After a quick scan (since I have
yet to read it fully) of the ... By Example book, I noticed a couple of
places where users suffix is specified but computers suffix is not.
That's one way around the problem.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.