[SAMBA] Upgrade Question

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Aug 16 14:27:42 GMT 2004

Brad Sagowitz wrote:

>Anyone?
>
>I might try with a --nodeps --force but I'd rather get the dependencies
>fixed... Perl 5 is no problem but I can't find any reference to CC

Honestly, why would someone suggest a --nodeps and --force?  You might
as well be installing from source in shared locations since you're
taking all of the package management out of rpm (I guess that just
leaves you with r then ;) )

>	rpm -Uvh samba-3.0.6rc2-1.i386.rpm
>	error: failed dependencies:
>        CC   is needed by samba-3.0.6rc2-1
>        /usr/bin/perl5   is needed by samba-3.0.6rc2-1
>        /usr/local/bin/perl   is needed by samba-3.0.6rc2-1
>	What package is CC from?  Where can I get it... or can I ignore this
>dependency?
>
>	What about perl5 is that necessary?

If it says it is, then it probably is.  Does the x.6rc2 package include
the smbldap tools?  That could be the source of the dependancy. cc
(/usr/bin/cc) is provided by the gcc package on RH8, which is the
closest I can get to 7.3, did you compile this yourself?  If so, and you
did on this machine, how you got the rpm built without cc is beyond me.
The requirements also look a little silly, redhat has never, TMK, put
perl in /usr/local, so it looks like the package was hacked up to be sure.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.