[Samba] Error setting passwords using smbldap-passwd.pl

Anthony Hess tonyh at engr.arizona.edu
Sun Aug 15 01:01:06 GMT 2004

Hello,

Im getting SO close on this one its driving me nuts.  The platform is
Solaris 9, with Sun One Directory server 5.1.  Running Samba 3.0.5 - and
when I use mkntpwd and cut and paste the passwords into LDAP I can log in to
the machine via Samba from both Windows and Mac clients (can't join the
domain, but I think that might be related to the fact that the bug still
appears to be around where you cant have a separate ou=Machines).

At any rate, the problem (well, this problem :) ) is that I can't get the
smbldap password program working.  The other scripts appear to be OK as far
as I can tell.

Here is the error:

# ./smbldap-passwd.pl Administrator
Changing password for Administrator
New password :
Retype new password :
Password generation failed for scheme {CRYPT}: scheme not recognized
Unable to change password : invalid password syntax at ./smbldap-passwd.pl
line 174, <STDIN> line 2.

Why would it not recognize CRYPT?  Its what the directory is storing its
passwords in, and its what the configuration file is set to.  Using
slappasswd gives the same scheme not recognized error when I try to invoke
it directly.

Any ideas?  (it does this for any user, not just the Administrator one)

Thanks,

Tony