[Samba] Problem when running samba on a network segment other than that of the clients

Server Administrator liquid at homebass.ca
Sat Aug 14 04:34:07 GMT 2004

Hi,

Thanks for the responses thus far.  Albeit embarrassing, I will post the
oversimplified smb.conf I have decided to use (see end of message).  At
this point my only goal is to have it work.  Once I have it working I'll
tinker with all the options.  I played a little with SWAT so I have an
idea of just what I can do with it.  Again though, this is just a
personal server.  The main reason for samba was to have all the drives
in one central location + allow for my laptop and my father's laptop to
have access to the same files at home or away, and when logging on from
any of the windows machines here or at the office.

The samba server isn't really on the open internet per se.  It's on a
public IP, but it's routed through my static IP and as such is protected
by my router/firewall.

I'm going to look at the interface traffic tomorrow morning to see if
the WINS traffic is going where it needs to, and I'm working to get
ipfilter to co-operate.  I still think there must be a way to get this
working without adding the additional complexity of a WINS server.
(Seeing as I never setup a WINS server I consider it additional
complexity even if it's as easy as point and click)

I'm using samba 3 on Fbsd 4.10-STABLE.  I read somewhere that samba
wants fbsd 5.x but when I looked at the Makefile in
/usr/ports/net/samba3 I saw that it's only in the case where ACL support
is included... so I ditched that

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.

Here is the "global" part of smb.conf

# Global parameters