[Samba] Problem when running samba on a network segment other than that of the clients

liquid liquid at homebass.ca
Sat Aug 14 00:20:06 GMT 2004

Hi all,

My first post here... hopefully I can find the solution to the problem
plaguing me since Wednesday.

I have a somewhat more complex than usual home network:

I have a router with a static IP, and it has two additional nics, each
having a hub attached to them for multiple machines.

One of these is my "protected" internal network, housing my windows machines
and whatever else I'm playing with.  This is 192.168.0.0/16.

On the other, is my subnet given to me by my ISP.  I have my freebsd
machines running mail/web and other services.  One is a fileserver I've just
installed samba on.  the network is 66.11.xxx.xxx/29.

I learned that the reason the windows machines couldn't see the samba server
is because broadcast packets are not forwarded on a router.  I've learned to
do this using fastroute on ipf and I knew it was working because when I
didn't specify ports 137-139 my traceroute got affected.  This however
didn't solve my problem.

If i connect to the server using //66.11.xxx.xxx/storage it works.  On the
other hand, windows still can't see the samba server as part of the
workgroup.  I've had someone else double check all the trivial stuff like
workgroup name etc...

Is there a setting I've overlooked perhaps that's not allowing the windows
machines to see the server?

Thanks,
Sandro M