[Samba] Example smb.conf with unix password sync = yes

Ganeshram Iyer ganeshramiyer at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 13 14:46:47 GMT 2004

Hello all:
I have a request to all of you who have implemented Samba 3 with "passdb
backend = smbpasswd" and have "unix password sync = yes" and the
password synchronization is working without a hitch to please send me a
copy of your smb.conf. I would really appreciate it.

I have Samba running on my Whitebox Enterprise linux (WBEL) box as a PDC
with about 8 Win XP/2K clients with about 10 Domain Users. This is the
simplest possible setup for a PDC I have seen (at lease online). But my
unix password sync just does not work. If I ask users to change
passwords using smbpasswd through ssh then I get a RAP86 error, saying
that the password is invalid. If I ask them to change passwords through
the Ctrl+Alt+Del->Change Password on the Win box then I get an error
saying the "user cannot change his own password". I need a really simple
single-sign-on where the WBEL password is the same as the Win password,
just so that their ssh, linux and win usernames and passwords are
connected. This is the only reason I installed Linux in the first place
and now I am struggling.

I thank you in advance for any help you could provide. I have
uninstalled samba and deleted all copies of conf files and am trying to
start over again. That is why the request for your sample smb.conf files.

Thanks
Ganesh