[Samba] Re: moving netbios alias between machines

Sten Sletbak Sten.Sletbak at adm.hio.no
Fri Aug 13 10:23:36 GMT 2004

In article <20040813031342.GA20243 at mtholyoke.edu>, Ron Peterson wrote:
> I would like to move a netbios alias (e.g. 'testname') from one machine
> to another.  Seems like an easy enough thing to do: remove it from
> machine 'a', and add it to machine 'b'.
>
> I've done this, but all's not well in netbios land.  My clients still
> want to talk to the old machine, and do.  Do I simply have to be more
> patient?  How patient?  Is there anything that can be done to speed up
> the process?
>
> If I have to, I can begin assigning IP's to each netbios alias, so that
> if I ever want to move them, I can also move the IP.  I'd really like to
> be able to cutover quickly to a new machine, so if that's what I have to
> do, I'll do that.
>
> Any advice?

I have tried this on a couple of occasions, and it has worked quite well.
Do you have wins server set up?
It may be that the clients use the lmhosts file (c:\windows\lmhosts) for
netbios resolution, and that's a bad thing if the IP changes.
And, yes, there may also be delays on the network/clients/wins server/new alias server...
Give it 10 minutes and try rebooting the client if it still fails.

Sten