[Samba] moving netbios alias between machines

Ron Peterson rpeterso at mtholyoke.edu
Fri Aug 13 03:13:42 GMT 2004

I would like to move a netbios alias (e.g. 'testname') from one machine
to another.  Seems like an easy enough thing to do: remove it from
machine 'a', and add it to machine 'b'.

I've done this, but all's not well in netbios land.  My clients still
want to talk to the old machine, and do.  Do I simply have to be more
patient?  How patient?  Is there anything that can be done to speed up
the process?

If I have to, I can begin assigning IP's to each netbios alias, so that
if I ever want to move them, I can also move the IP.  I'd really like to
be able to cutover quickly to a new machine, so if that's what I have to
do, I'll do that.

Any advice?

--
Ron Peterson