[Samba] Samba 3 and mounting NT share on Linux box

jamaguy jamaguy at nervesync.com
Thu Aug 12 22:18:35 GMT 2004

Hello everyone,

I used to be able to mount an MS NT4 DOMAIN share  from a machine
running RedHat 9 (Samba v2.2.7a), but after upgrading to WHEL (also
tried with SuSE 9.1/kernel 2.6.x running Samba 3 and it appears to have
the same problem) (Samba v3.0.4) my samba mount script will no longer
work.  It successfully mounts the share but I get permission denied
errors when attempting to ls -l , df, and/or cd to the mounted directory.

I use the following in a script (which prompts for the password)

    smbmount //$SERVER/$SHARE /mnt/smb/$SHARE -o
username=$USER,workgroup=$WORKGROUP,ip=$IP,rw

I've also tried  adding uid=$UID,gid=$GID (both su and non-su account
id's) as well as dmask combinations.  I'm sure the answer is simpler
than I've thus far ventured to guess, though have just overlooked it.
Anyone? Thank you very much in advance.

Ben