[Samba] SMBCLIENT problem with large files

Scott T. Burleson stb at programmingresources.com
Thu Aug 12 21:10:01 GMT 2004

I am at wits end with a problem I am having at one client. We routinely set
up smbclient to transfer files from our SCO UNIX boxes to various Windows
shares in their networks. I am having a problem with this at one particular
site with this process with large files, and the definition of large is >
100K, which really isn’t that large but seems to be the cut off where I have
the problem.

The Windows server that is sharing the directory is an NT 4 server. We are
using SCO Openserver 5.0.6 at this particular site. When issuing the put
command at the SMB prompt on a large file, I receive this error message:

smb: \> put moved_Disrep.Fri.00 Disrep.Fri.00
dos_clean_name [\\Disrep.Fri.00]
putting file moved_Disrep.Fri.00 as \Disrep.Fri.00 Error writing file: Call
timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds
Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds closing
remote file \Disrep.Fri.00
smb: \> ksh: 523 Memory fault(coredump)

There is one thing that might be interesting and related. When I use the get
command to download a file, my average speed of download is typically about
4M/s. However, when I upload successfully on the small files, my average
upload speed is about 2K/s. Does anyone have any idea why my “large” files
are failing and why my upload speeds are so poor.

Thanks,

Scott.