[Samba] Domain logon error

Karl Banasky kbanasky at heatcon.com
Wed Aug 11 23:14:17 GMT 2004

Hello.  This my first go at 3.0.5 samba. I am going off of chapter four in the examples.
I have set it all up and go to my System properties to join a domain when I am asked for a user.  In 2.2.x I was instructed to create a root user to be able to join a domain.  Is this who I use for 3.0?
If it is...
When I go to create the root user ( pdbedit -a -u root) I get the following error:
[root at localhost] # pdbedit -a -u root
new password:
retype new password:
tdb_update_sam: Failing to store a SAM_ACCOUNT for [root] without a primary group RID
Unable to add user! (does it already exist?)

How do I join the domain? And is there better documentation on the pdbedit command? It seems so mysterious in both SAMBA guides.

I am running -
samba 3.0.5 - from srpm (rpmbuild -bb samba.spec)
Fedora Core 2 with yum updates

Thanks.

Karl Banasky

Email kbanasky at heatcon.com