[Samba] unix password sync not working

Aria Bamdad ARIA at biostat.bsc.gwu.edu
Wed Aug 11 20:43:22 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have a samba server configured with SECURITY=USER and am having
trouble getting the UNIX PASSWORD SYNC to work.  When I use smbpasswd to
change a samba user password, everything goes well and the samba
password is changed but the unix password is not changed.  Per the
manuals, samba trys to change the unix password first and if it fails,
it will NOT change the samba password.  However, the samba password is
changed but not the unix password.  It's as if it doesn't try the
unix password at all.

I have the following parameters:

Security=user
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *successfully*