[Samba] XP Clients missing in my network places

Sean Young iguanadon_terrier at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 19:29:55 GMT 2004

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a re-post, I sent it in to gmane.network.samba.general
yesterday and haven't seen it posted yet, so I decided to send it to the list.

I am currently running samba 3.0.3 on Fedora Core 2 (Kernel 2.6.6).  The
samba server is running as the PDC for the domain, with no other servers and
a handful of 98 and XP clients.  The problem is that Windows XP clients will
not show up in My Network Places or Network Neighborhood.

When using UNC names I am able to access the machines, but cannot find them
otherwise.  I am not even able to see them with net view.  All of the 98
clients show up fine.

The clients are configured with Client for Microsoft Networks, File and
Printer Sharing and TCP/IP.  In the TCP/IP options I specified to use
NetBIOS over TCP/IP and have set the wins server to the address of the Samba
server.  The bindings for the client adapters are (in order): File and printer sharing and client for Microsoft networks. I cannot change the order.  None of the machines have any sort of personal firewall software.

One other thing, when I browse the entire network, I can see two copies of my domain.  The XP clients show one instance of the domain empty and the 98 clients show both with the same computers (the server and the 98 clients)

Is this a problem with Samba, or XP?  I have googled this but cannot find an
answer.  Below is a copy of my smb.conf

Thanks

[global]
 workgroup =
 netbios name =
 encrypt passwords = Yes
# password level = 8 changed 8/10/04 see below
# username level = 8 changed 8/10/04 see below
 printcap name = cups
 logon script = scripts\%U.bat
 logon drive = h:
 domain logons = Yes
# os level = 64 changed 8/11/04 see below
 preferred master = Yes
 domain master = Yes
 wins support = Yes
# wins proxy = Yes removed 8/10/04 not needed?
 admin users = root
 force create mode = 0775
 security mask = 00
 force directory mode = 0775
 directory security mask = 00
 printing = cups
 server string = Linux Server
# These Global Params added 08/10/04:
 security = user
 server schannel = auto
 server signing = auto
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
 interfaces = eth0 192.168.0.3/255.255.255.0
 hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
 add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
 delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
 add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
 delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
 add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
 add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false \
  -d /dev/null %u
 unix password sync = Yes
 passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
 passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
 username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
 username level = 0
 password level = 0
# Global params added 08/11/04: