[Samba] ACL propegation problem - any known issues?

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Wed Aug 11 18:41:22 GMT 2004

I'm still being frustrated on this one.  I can't seem to come up with a way
to reproduce it.  But I've got some more details, now.  The default ACL
appears to be being created properly at first, then removed later.

For example, I have this folder:

# file: WasteManagement
# owner: INTERCLEAN+Susan
# group: INTERCLEAN+CAD Users
user::rwx
user:mirror:r-x
user:INTERCLEAN+Michael:r-x
group::---
group:INTERCLEAN+CAD\040Users:rwx
group:INTERCLEAN+Domain\040Admins:rwx
group:INTERCLEAN+Engineering:r-x
group:INTERCLEAN+Project:rwx
group:INTERCLEAN+Purchasing:rwx
group:INTERCLEAN+Sales:r-x
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:user:mirror:r-x
default:user:INTERCLEAN+Michael:r-x
default:group::---
default:group:INTERCLEAN+CAD\040Users:rwx
default:group:INTERCLEAN+Domain\040Admins:rwx
default:group:INTERCLEAN+Engineering:r-x
default:group:INTERCLEAN+Project:rwx
default:group:INTERCLEAN+Purchasing:rwx
default:group:INTERCLEAN+Sales:r-x
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

And this folder under it.  Notice how the default ACL is missing:

# file: Riser diagrams
# owner: INTERCLEAN+Kenneth
# group: INTERCLEAN+CAD Users
user::rwx
user:mirror:r-x
user:INTERCLEAN+Michael:r-x
group::---
group:INTERCLEAN+CAD\040Users:rwx
group:INTERCLEAN+Domain\040Admins:rwx
group:INTERCLEAN+Engineering:r-x
group:INTERCLEAN+Project:rwx
group:INTERCLEAN+Purchasing:rwx
group:INTERCLEAN+Sales:r-x
mask::rwx
other::---

Now, here's the interesting part.  Some of the files in that folder were
created August 4, and some were created August 9.  The ones created August 4
have the proper ACL, which means the default ACL *had to exist* at that
point.  The ones created August 9 have only the POSIX ACLs.

The other interesting thing is that between August 4 and August 9, Kenneth
switched workstations.  Both workstations were running Windows NT 4.0 SP6; I
don't know if they both had the same hotfixes installed, though, and the old
one has since been reformatted.

Relevent details:
Kernel 2.4.25, libacl1 version 2.2.23-1 (Debian), acl version 2.0.8-1
(Debian), Samba 3.0.2-2 (Debian).  "inherit_acls" is set to yes.