[Samba] wrong create mask on files

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Aug 11 12:51:44 GMT 2004

Andreas Belitz wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a question regarding Samba 3.0.5: i use samba as pdc for a windows domain. i have
>builtin acl support and reiserfs with builtin acl support. acl's work fine. the only
>problem i have is that files are not created with the proper permissions set. i have a
>user "lilly" who creates files. these files should have rwx for the group "users"
>(mapped to "DOMAIN\Users") as well as for the users. so on the appropriate share i
>said: "create mask = 0770" and "security mask = 0700". But it doesn't work as expected.
>the files only have rwx for the user and no permissions for the group. any suggestions?

What you have set is the bits that 'can' be set by the client, so in
this case, you say when a client creates a file they can set any bits
present in the set rwxrwx---.  When they are modifying, the most bits
that can be set are rwx------, so if they ever modify they could be
tightening permissions.  Note that these are the bits that the client
CAN set, not the ones that it DOES set.

To force a mode on the files, you should probably use force create mode
= 077x where x is the desired 'world' bit value.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.