[Samba] File locks not always released (Samba 2.2.8)

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at austethical.com.au
Wed Aug 11 05:18:08 GMT 2004

We have the occasional problem that file locks are not always being
released.  The result is files that insist on being 'read only' (claiming
that the file is already 'in use') or that cannot be deleted or replaced.
The problem only happens occasionally, and I have yet to be able to
determine a pattern.  The problem will usuall resolve itself within 24
hours, but sometimes it is very inconvenient.

Firstly, is this a known issue with this version of Samba?  If so, does it
go away in later versions?

Secondly, is there a way to 'manually' release a file lock on the server,
for just a specific file?  (I'm thinking of a command that could be run on
the samba server itself.)

Failing that, what about releasing all locks?  Google seems to suggest that:
Stopping Samba, removing /var/cache/samba/locking.tdb and restarting Samba
would do that.
Presumably this would be best to do after everyone has logged out of the
system?  Is this a reasonable thing to do, or is it likely to break
something?

We are at the moment stuck with Samba 2.2.8 for support reasons, so
upgrading to a newer version of Samba is not an option at the current point
in time, although will hopefully become an option within the next 6 months.

Thanks,

Rasjid.

----------------------------------
Rasjid Wilcox
Senior Systems Architect
Australian Ethical Investment Ltd
Suite 66, Canberra Business Centre
Bradfield St, DOWNER  ACT  2602
Ph:    02 6242 1980
Fax:   02 6242 1987

This email (and any attachments) is confidential and for the persons to whom
it is addressed.  Any unauthorised reproduction or dissemination of this
message is prohibited.  Please notify the sender immediately if you have
received this message in error.  AEI accepts no responsibility for the use
of any attachments and/or corrupt files which this email may contain.
The contents and opinions expressed by the author of this email are not
necessarily those of AEI.