[Samba] Browsing problem with duplicate domains

Praise praisetazio at tiscalinet.it
Tue Aug 10 20:24:02 GMT 2004

I have this problem with Samba:
"create_workgroup: workgroup name PRAISENET      is too long. Truncating to
PRAISENET
2004/08/10 21:47:08, 0] nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:create_workgroup(68)"

There are many lines like this in my logs, for every workgroup when its master
browser is a Samba 3.

Moreover there are duplicate domains (for the same domain) on the network
         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------
         HOMENET              MAIN
         ISOLANET             ISOLAVERDE
         PRAISENET            LINUX
         PRAISENET            LINUX

This is part of output of smbclient -L LINUX, from LINUX's shell.
From MAIN's shell instead:

Domain=[HOMENET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.4-SUSE]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        DOOM9                Doom9 on the road!
        MAIN                 Computer principale

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        HOMENET              MAIN
        HOMENET              MAIN
        ISOLANET             ISOLAVERDE
        PRAISENET
        PRAISENET            LINUX

Anybody knows hot to solve it? any idea?
 This problem have been happening since I updated my master browsers to samba
3, ISOLAVERDE is still samba 2.2, in fact I do not have duplicates.

I have googled a bit, and I have found a thread in this mailing list about
this problem and there is a patch. Does that patch work?
LINUX is Samba 3.0.5, MAIN is 3.0.4-SuSE.

Praise