[Samba] Printer on LDAP PDC debug help?

Jim C. jcllings at javahop.com
Mon Aug 9 06:48:13 GMT 2004

Mandrake 10.0 LDAP PDC with ldapauth.
Server is a member of the PDC but not using winbind since we have
ldapauth. Basically this just means that I used:

  net rpc join -U Administrator%PASSWORD

I've been going by the HOWTOs and books from the beginning. I even have
the Samba HOWTO Guide and Reference in dead tree format.

Today I tried using a simple setup from this site:
http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#id2562223

This is the cupsaddsmb deal where you get the postscript drivers from
the cups site and then install them using cupsaddsmb.  I've had the same
problems mentioned here with other printing setups I've tried. Most
notably, vanilla printing with no special handleing or features.

Of course, cupsaddsmb would not work and the verbose mode gave little
indication as to why other than the following:

Running command: smbclient //enigma/print\$ -N
-U'Administrator%XXXXXXXXXXX' -c 'mkdir W32X86;put
/root/tmp/4115b28cb66f0 W32X86/LinLexZ53.ppd;put
/usr/share/cups/drivers/cupsdrv5.dll W32X86/cupsdrv5.dll;put
/usr/share/cups/drivers/cupsui5.dll W32X86/cupsui5.dll;put
/usr/share/cups/drivers/cups5.hlp W32X86/cups5.hlp'
Domain=[J9STARR] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.5pre1]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

This should not be the case because my setup is identical to that
mentioned in the howto (sans compensation for my distro).  Now it is
true that my server doesn't use winbind to join the domain.  This should
not be required with ldapauth right on the server box, though should it?

Anyway, I took the commands above and tried to reverse engineer them for
use on the command line.  This seemed to get the job done.  Now I have:

 > [root at enigma W32X86]# pwd;ls
 > /var/lib/samba/printers/W32X86
 > cups5.hlp*  cupsdrv5.dll*  cupsui5.dll*  LinLexZ53.ppd*

Right now I have the /var/lib/samba/printers directory and all
subdirectories and files chmod'd to 766 to eliminate any possibility of
an underlying file system access problem.  The same on /var/spool/samba.

[root at enigma root]# ls -l /var/spool | grep samba; ls -l /var/lib/samba
| grep printers
drwxrwxrwt   2 root   Domain Users 4096 Aug  6 23:18 samba/
drwxrw-rw-  7 root Domain Admins 4096 Jul 30 00:15 printers/

The end result was this:  As a Domain Admin, I can browse to the
printer.  I can see stuff in the queue that has been printed from Linux
but I cannot add the printer or print to it in anyway from the client
machine. I note that when I browse to My Network Places->Entire
Network->Microsoft Windows Network->J9STARR->Enigma->Printers and Faxes,
I can right click on the icon and click "No" when it first prompts for a
printer driver (as instructed by the HOWTO) and then select the
"Advanced tab".  All according to instructions in the HOWTO.... *BUT*
the "Driver:" drop down list box is not accessible and the "New Driver"
button is disabled.

Here is my current testparm output.  Note that I've grep -v'ed out a lot
of redundant recycle bin crap and that no errors are reported.

P.S.> I'm going to re-read the troubleshooting section before bed for ideas.

# Global parameters
[global]
     unix charset = LOCALE
     workgroup = J9STARR
     interfaces = eth0, lo
     bind interfaces only = Yes
     passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost
     log level = 1
     syslog = 0
     log file = /var/log/samba/%m
     max log size = 50
     smb ports = 139 445
     name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
     time server = Yes
     show add printer wizard = No
     add user script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-useradd.pl -a -m
'%u'
     delete user script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-userdel.pl %u
     add group script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-groupadd.pl -p '%g'
     delete group script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-groupdel.pl '%g'
     add user to group script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-groupmod.pl
-m '%u' '%g'
     delete user from group script =
/usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-groupmod.pl -x '%u' '%g'
     set primary group script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-usermod.pl
-g '%g' '%u'
     add machine script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-useradd.pl -w
'%u'
     logon script = logon.bat
     logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
     logon drive = Z:
     logon home = \\%L\%U\profiles
     domain logons = Yes
     preferred master = Yes
     wins support = Yes
     ldap suffix = dc=j9starr,dc=net
     ldap machine suffix = ou=People
     ldap user suffix = ou=People
     ldap group suffix = ou=Group
     ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
     ldap admin dn = cn=root,dc=j9starr,dc=net
     ldap ssl = no
     idmap backend = ldap:ldap://localhost
     idmap uid = 10000-20000
     idmap gid = 10000-20000
     printer admin = '@Domain Admins', Administrator, root
     map acl inherit = Yes
     print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s

[apps]
     comment = Application Files
     path = /mnt/apps
     read only = No

[netlogon]
     comment = Network Logon Service
     path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
     guest ok = Yes
     browseable = No
     locking = No

[profiles]
     comment = Profile Share
     path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
     read only = No
     profile acls = Yes
     browseable = No
     root preexec = PROFILE=/var/lib/samba/profiles/%u; if [ ! -e
$PROFILE ];         then mkdir -pm700 $PROFILE; chown "%u"."%g" $PROFILE; fi
     root postexec = /bin/su -c "/usr/local/bin/dl
/var/lib/samba/profiles/%u/Desktop/*[^.lnk]" %u

[homes]
     comment = Home Directories
     valid users = %S
     read only = No
     hide special files = Yes
     browseable = No

[public]
     path = /home/storeage
     read only = No
     guest only = Yes
     guest ok = Yes

[printers]
     comment = All Printers
     path = /var/spool/samba
     guest ok = Yes
     printable = Yes
     browseable = No

[print$]
     comment = Printer Drivers
     path = /etc/samba/drivers
     write list = root, '@Domain Admins'

Jim C.
| I can be reached on the following Instant Messenger services: |
| MSN: j_c_llings at hotmail.com  AIM: WyteLi0n  ICQ: 123291844 	|
| Y!: j_c_llings               Jabber: jcllings at njs.netlab.cz	|