[Samba] Bizarre failure of samba shares to XP

Dean Carpenter deano at areyes.com
Mon Aug 9 03:48:26 GMT 2004

OK, this one is really strange, and I'm not sure where to go with it.  Here's the setup ...

Main box is running Debian testing/sarge with samba 3.0.5.  Earlier it was 3.0.4 and 3.0.2.  Very generic installation for home, acting as a file server for several XP Pro boxes, and everything has been running swimmingly.  Using USER security, with users logging in to the XP boxes with the same ID and password as is on the debian box.

Now though, one of the boxes has lost the ability to connect to any share.  I get an "Access Denied".  The really weird part is that I can connect to any subdirectory below the share root just fine.  For example, if I put \\debian\docs1 into the address bar in a window, it will fail, but putting \\debian\docs1\test1 for an existing test1 directory that lives under docs1 will work fine.

I am able to use smbclient to connect to the share from linux just fine.

  smbclient //debian/docs1 password -U testid

It gets odder.  This problem happens on my main XP box.  A second XP box still works just fine, as it always has.  Connects to share roots with aplomb.  So it looks like samba is OK - connecting from this XP box and from smbclient works fine.

As a test, I built another XP Pro box, as follows :

XP with SP1
All critical updates via Windows update.
Norton AntiVirus 8 (also running on all other boxes)
Office 2003 with all updates
Webroot Spysweeper v3.0.0 build 129  (box that still works fine does NOT have SpySweeper installed)

Go to connect to \\debian\docs1 and it pops up a login dialog.  Put in the user/password, and kaboom, same damn failure.  And same damn success in getting to \\debian\docs1\test1.

This leads me to think that it is either something that has changed in samba going to v3.0.5, or something with SpySweeper, though I can't think what effect that would have.  I haven't had a chance to remove SpySweeper yet, but I'll do that tomorrow as a test.

I've turned on more detail in logging for smbd, but nothing sticks out.  The log shows typical lines like

[2004/08/08 22:30:27, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(619)
  gigger (192.168.2.7) connect to service docs1 initially as user testid (uid=1000, gid=1000) (pid 18488)
[2004/08/08 22:31:24, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(801)
  gigger (192.168.2.7) closed connection to service docs1

That connection failed.  Yet immediately after, I connected to \\debian\docs1\test1 and that worked fine, but there was no entry in the log.

WTF ??  Where should I look ?

Thanks -

--
Dean Carpenter